Now that I've finished my A to Z journal (or at least made it all the way to Z), I've compiled the creative habits I shared throughout the project into one list.
1. Let your ideas percolate. Make lists, write notes, sketch, ponder.
2. Build a bridge: whenever you're working on a project, leave it in a place that makes it easy to start the next time.
3. Find your balance: recognize when you're in a rut (or when you're staying true to yourself in a groove). I also seek the balance between planning and serendipity.
4. Embrace (or at least accept) imperfection.
5. Remember your goal: think big picture.
6. Remember your intention: think little picture.
7. Exhaust an idea: draw a pear every day for a month; create something green every day; use one word in your art over & over.
8. Find a mentor.
9. Do something (it's better than doing nothing).
10. The right tools may not start your project for you, but they'll help you finish it.
11. Make your work portable. Find different places to do your art, or make use of the places where you need to be anyway.
12. When you're frustrated, go away. Work on something else. Clean your studio. Take a walk. Organize stuff. Then come back.
13. Have more than one iron in the fire.
14. Think with your heart for a change.
15. Remind yourself that if you don't like the art you've made, it will at the very least teach you to make better art next time.
Now for the giveaway!
Meet Amery. Amery is new in the shop this week, a cousin to Muriel. You can win your very own self-inking Amery Address Stamp by leaving a comment on today's post: in the spirit of my A to Z book, tell me one letter/word about yourself. Randomness is encouraged! I'll choose a winner on Friday morning.